Tom Hunter is an award winning and internationally acclaimed artist. His work has been exhibited nationally and internationally in major solo and group shows, most recently: Seduced by Art, National Gallery, UK; A Palace for Us, Serpentine Gallery, UK; Another Story, Photography from the Moderna Museet, Stockholm, Sweden; British Photography, Krakow, Poland; Tears of Eros, The Museo Thyssen- Bornemisza, Madrid, Spain; and Theatres of the Real, Fotomuseum, Antwerp. He has published four books; The Way Home (Hatje Cantz, 2012), Tom Hunter: Living in Hell and Other Stories (National Gallery London, 2005), Tom Hunter (DA2 Domus Artium, 2004), Tom Hunter (Hatje Cantz, 2003), which won the John Kobal photographic book award in 2004 and Factory Built Homes (Holly Street Public Arts Trust 1998).
Tom has earned several awards during his career, most recently an Honorary Fellowship from the University College Falmouth (2012). He has an Honorary Doctorate of the Arts from the University of East London (2011) for his work documenting the lives of the people of East London. He was awarded Honorary Fellowship of the Royal Photographic Society in 2010. He is a Professor of Photography Research at the London College of Communication, University of the Arts London.
Tom graduated from the London College of Printing in 1994 with his work ‘The Ghetto’, which is now on permanent display at the Museum of London. He studied for his MA at the Royal College of Art, where, in 1996, he was awarded the Photography Prize by Fuji Film for his series ‘Travellers’. In 1998 ‘Woman Reading a Possession Order’ from his series ‘Persons Unknown’, won the John Kobal Photographic Portrait Award at the National Portrait Gallery. In 1999 Tom’s series of the ‘Holly Street’ estate was exhibited at the Saatchi Gallery, London. In 2000 Tom’s ‘Life and Death in Hackney’ series, went on show at the White Cube Gallery, then on to Manchester City Art Gallery.
In 2006 Tom became the only artist to have a solo photography show at the National Gallery for his series ‘Living in Hell and Other Stories’, which talked about Hackney and its relationship to its local paper. One work was acquired for their collection and is now on permanent display. Tom has recently been commissioned by the Serpentine Gallery London, The Victoria and Albert Museum, the Museum of London and The Royal Shakespeare company all exhibiting new works, both in film and photography. His works are in many collections around the world including; MOMA, New York, The V&A, London, Moderna Museet, Stockholm, Smithsonian, Washington and the Los Angles County Museum of Art.
Tom lives in East London and his work is often particular, but not exclusive, to his community and neighbourhood.
Download CV; CV-T.Hunter-july-202014
Tom Hunter is represented by:
Biography, Selected Works and Awards:
- 1965 – Born in Dorset
- 1980 – Leaves school, aged 15 and works on a farm for a year, and then for the Forestry Commission in Dorset
- 1986 – Moves to Hackney and works as a tree surgeon. Spends a year working for the USA Forestry Service in Puerto Rico.
- 1990 – Attends A-level Photography evening classes at Kingsway College, London.
- 1991-94 London College of Printing, BA 1st Class Hons.
- 1995 – The Tredou Arts and Culture Awards.
- 1995 - The Ghetto, museum of London.
- 1996 – Royal College of Art First Year Award for Best Photography (Fuji Film UK Ltd).
- 1997 – Royal College of Art, MA.
- 1997 - Wins Painter-Stainers Photography prize at The R.C.A.
- 1998 – Wins John Kobal Photographic Portrait Award with Woman Reading a Possession Order.
- 1999 – Neurotic Realism, The Saatchi Gallery, London.
- 2000 – Life and Death in Hackney, White Cube, London; Green on Red Gallery, Dublin.
- 2002 – Thoughts of Life and Death, Manchester Art Gallery, Manchester.
- 2002 -Tom Hunter: Photographs, Contemporary Art Centre, Vilnius.
- 2003 – Tom Hunter, Yancey Richardson Gallery, New York
- 2003 -Tom Hunter, Frans Hals Museum, Haarlem.
- 2003 – Wins John Kobal Book Award.
- 2004 – 1997-2004, Domus Artium 2002 Museum, Salamanca.
- 2005 – Tom Hunter, Galeria Visor, Valencia.
- 2006 – Living in Hell and Other Stories, The National Gallery, London.
- 2006 – Living in Hell and Other Stories, The Graves Art Gallery, Sheffield.
- 2006 – Artist in Residence, Irish Museum of Modern Art, Dublin.
- 2006 – Living in Hell and Other Stories, Yancey Richardson Gallery, New York.
- 2007 – Tom Hunter, The Mint Museum, Charlotte, North Carolina.
- 2007 – Art Project Commission from Rosetta Life.
- 2007 – Working on Film Commission with Channel 4 and the I.C.A.
- 2007 – Symbolismus Exhibition in Von der Heydt-Museum in Wuppertal.
- 2007 – Tom Hunter, The Falckenberg, Collection at Phoenix Kulturstiftung in Hamburg.
- 2007 – Art Project Commission by The Serpentine Gallery, London.
- 2008 – Interior Lives, Geffrye Museum, London
- 2008 – Halloween Horror, Culture House, Skovde, Sweden
- 2008 – Shopkeepers, new commissioned work for the V&A Museum of Childhood, London
- 2008 – Life and Death in Hackney, Fotografins Hus, Stockholm, Sweden
- 2008 – New Photography, Purdy Hicks Gallery, London
- 2009 – Flashback, new commissioned work for the Museum of London
- 2009 – Theatres of the Real, contemporary British photography, Fotomuseum Antwerp
- 2009 – Tom Hunter A Journey Back, The Arts Gallery, University of the Arts London
- 2010 – A Palace for Us, Serpentine Gallery, London
- 2010 – Unheralded Stories Purdy Hicks, London
- 2010 – Lust for Life & Dance of Death, Olbricht Collection, Austria
- 2010 – The Ghetto, The Galleries of Modern London, Museum of London
- 2010 – British Photography, Photomonth, Krakow, Poland
- 2010 – Tears of Eros, The Museo Thyssen-Bornemisza, Madrid, Spain
- 2010 – Awarded Honorary Fellowship by Royal Photography Society September
- 2011 – Awarded Honorary Doctorate of the Arts from the University of East London
- 2011 – Unheralded Stories, Green on Red Gallery, Dublin
- 2011 – Tom Hunter; A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Royal Shakespeare Company, Stratford-upon-Avon
- 2011 – Another Story, Modern Museet, Stockholm
- 2011 – Unheralded Stories, Mead Gallery, Warwick
- 2011 – Please Write, Posted, London
- 2011 - Caldic Collection, Kunsthal, Rotterdam
- 2011 - A Palace for Us, East End Film Festival, London
- 2012 - Seduced by Art; Photography past and present, National Gallery London
- 2012 - Tom Hunter; A Midsummer Night’s Dream, RSC, The Roundhouse, London
- 2012 - Punch and Judy, V&A Museum of Childhood, London
- 2012 - Honorary Fellowship from the University College Falmouth
- 2012- The Way Home, Book Publication with Hatje Cantz
- 2013- Two, Tom Hunter works are acquired by MOMA New York
- 2013- Findings, Birmingham
- 2013- From madonna to Madonna. Deconstructions of the feminine in contemporary society, Da2 Salamanca, Spain
- 2013- UK Photography Now, Dong Gang International Photography Festival, South Korea
- 2013- Divine Bodies, Laing Art Gallery, Newcastle, UK
- 2013- Public Spaces, Public Stages, Print House Gallery, London
- 2013- Making It Up: Photographic Fictions, V&A Museum, London
- 2013- Memory & Imagination, The Mall Galleries, London
- 2013- How is the World, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington DC, USA
- 2013- Unheralded Stories, Mission Gallery, Swansea
- 2013- Seduced by Art, Photography Past & Present, Caixa Forum, Barcelona
- 2013- Axis Mudi, Purdy Hicks Gallery, London
- 2013- Le Crowbar, Book Publication with Here Press